Thursday, April 14, 2005

Making Homeschooling More Accessible

I am very encouraged that one day, so many families will pull their children out of government schools that they will lose so much money (their only motivating factor) that they will be forced to make meaningful, long-lasting changes.

I believe that the only way to do that is to make homeschooling more accessible. Among the families in my circle of friends and acquaintances who are not homeschooling, homeschooling is viewed very favorably. These attitudes are reflected in recent national surveys about homeschooling. However, so many parents feel that they can not homeschool, despite the benefits of homeschooling, because of their own limitations or weaknesses.

Parents say that they are too disorganized or they fear that they will not cover all the needed materials. They worry that they will not know how to choose the right curriculum. I am one of these parents.

I know that you veterans out there may say "Just relax, it will all come together." and I want to believe you but it is not easy to imagine sometimes.

I am not too proud to get a little help, especially as a new homeschooler.

1 comment:

  1. I felt exactly like this last year before I took the plunge! I know you love your children and have their best interest in mind. You are more concerned about your children's education than ANY school can ever be. Because of that you will do fine at homeschooling. You are reading, researching and networking to discover the best for your kids. You are designing a complete and customized education for your kids. Will you have false starts...sure. Will you become frustrated...sure. But so do the public schools. I could not imagine homeschooling before I began. Now, I cannot imagine ever going back. Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete