Monday, July 21, 2008

Motherhood: The Impossible Task

Many children today are seen as "high needs" or "special needs" children. These are children who are particularly demanding and draining of their caretakers. As I observe godly mothers around me whom God has chosen to bless with these children , I am all at once in awe and afraid. I am in awe at their perseverance and steadfast love of their sometimes-difficult children while I am afraid that I surely do not and could not measure up to be the kind of mothers they are.

The truth is, all kids have needs and meeting their needs in the most perfect way would drain any of us. Some of our kids, though, are frankly easier to ignore and not meet all of their needs than is the case with a high needs child.

So that leaves me thinking: this motherhood thing, this task of providing for what can seem insatiable needs of our children and others around us, is truly impossible to fulfill.

What can I do?

Only one thing: go running into the arms of my Lord and Savior, constantly seek his face and his guidance as I focus first and foremost on not being the best mother but on being the best follower of Christ that I can be.

In humbling myself before the throne of my Lord Jesus, I find the strength to daily walk in the impossible role he has given me.
He guides the humble in what is right and teaches them his way. Psalm 25:9 NIV

In admitting my utter dependence on the Lord, I give up accomplishing of my own talents and give everything to him.

In casting my cares upon my Lord, I find freedom from the need to worry about my inadequacies.

Cast all your anxiety on him because he cares for you. 1 Peter 5:7 (NIV)

I am the vine; you are the branches. If a man remains in me and I in him, he will bear much fruit; apart from me you can do nothing. John 15:5 (NIV)



Bookmark and Share
http://www.talkr.com/app/cast_pods.app?feed_id=48390

No comments:

Post a Comment