Thursday, July 10, 2008

Setting the Scene


All Scripture is breathed out by God and profitable for teaching, for reproof, for correction, and for training in righteousness, that the man of God may be competent, equipped for every good work. 2 Timothy 3:16,17 (ESV)

I talked with a friend yesterday about the location of an upcoming Bible study. Neither of us was familiar with the suburb where the study will be held.

I went to Google maps and put in the name of the city and I was given a close-up of the area in which the city is located.

This did not help us at all! We still did not have a sense of how far away the study was because we could not see it in relation to where we live.

This experience reminded me of looking at Scripture quotes out of context and attempting to study them. I added so much depth to my study of God's word when I started taking the time to find out more about the historical context, author and intent of the book of the Bible in which a particular Scripture verse is located.

I would like to give a brief background here on 2 Timothy but I encourage you to more fully explore this on your own with a good commentary or study Bible.

2 Timothy, written by Paul during his second Roman imprisonment, is the last letter written by Paul. Paul is aware that his martyrdom is imminent and he had been abandoned by his friends.

Timothy was a young believer who traveled with Paul as he was establishing churches and was later anointed to be a pastor-teacher in his own right. Timothy was left in Ephesus by Paul and it was there that this letter was sent.

The purpose of the letter is to encourage and support Timothy in his ministry.

The message of the letter is timeless, however, can be applied to believers today as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment