Wednesday, December 24, 2008

In The Christmas Spirit

We have been having wonderful family times these past few days.  Chase and Alyssa participated in our church's children's Christmas program, our main focus leading up to Sunday.  My husband, a photographer and tech expert,  was also involved in the multi-media presentation.  Although this may sound rather routine and unexciting, the past few days held several wonderful surprises for me.

First, I had no idea how cool the multi-media aspect of the program was!  I was so very proud of my husband and the wonderful photographs he took.  Sometimes I  forget how talented my husband is and how he likes to use his gifts and talents for the church.  Afterwards, so many parents approached him wanting a copy for their family.

Next, my one and only ds completely surprised me with the excellence of his very first solo, in a language that is not native to him!  That's right, my shy son sung a verse of Silent Night in Spanish on stage, in front of the whole congregation!  His voice sounded so wonderful I could hardly believe it was him!  I was one proud Mama and spent most of the program afterwards thanking God for his grace to allow my son's talents to be used in a mighty way.

Alyssa's participation was so full of joy and enthusiastic that just looking at her singing filled me  with  happiness and gratefullness for our wonderful Savior for whom this program was presented.

Our final unexpected blessing is that Grandma stayed with us for a few days before and then after the program.  This is an answer to a prayer for me as I have been concerned for her since Grandpa died in September.  I know the holidays can be difficult in a time of grieving.  How wonderful it has been to watch her light up as she plays with the kids and to see the kids getting to show their beloved Granny all their latest tricks and interests.

Most of all, what I have realized is that I need to repent of taking much that is good in my life, that God has blessed me with, for granted.  How much I still dare to complain and moan and groan about life and what is not perfect instead of focusing on my Lord and all the wondrous gifts he has given me, not the least of which is my very salvation itself.

My prayer for myslelf and all my readers and everyone I know this Christmas is that we all have the grace to focus on Christ and all that he has done for us, both now and well after Christmas and New Year's are over.

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year.




1 comment: