Monday, February 21, 2005

Dreaming of Jewels

On Saturday, we did the family trip to Sam's Club. By the time we got to the checkout line, Alyssa was pretty restless in the cart. I got her out and let her walk around while Sam and Chase checked-out. Well, what was I thinking! Alyssa's uncertain 1-year old toddler legs partnered with the slippery, oh-so-hard and not- so-clean floors at the warehouse store were not the smartest combination. I was relieved when she toddled past the phone cards and Easter candy and came to rest at the jewelry cases.

"My girl has good taste", I thought to myself. I was happy to spend a few moments daydreaming about all the wonderful jewelry as I checked out the latest styles (white gold seemed to be pretty popular) as I have not even glanced at a jewelry counter in years. Alyssa was not only quiet, but she was actually staying in one place. And so we stood, in relative bliss until I thought I heard a gurgling sound.

I reluctantly pulled myself out of my reverie to investigate. To my horror, Alyssa had her mouth on the glass of the jewelry display case and was proceeding to blow bubbles all over the glass! At first I could not believe my eyes and then I quickly became concerned about the germs Alyssa was ingesting and the state of the store's display case. It is for completely unexpected toddler incidents such as these that I always keep a napkin or tissue in my pocket. After restraining my daughter and cleaning off the case, I took a moment to regroup and recoup.

I am learning, with God's grace, to not over-react and to keep all incidents that may have a tendency to push me over the edge in perspective. Things certainly could have been worse and praise God my daughter did not come to serious harm in my moment of nonattention. The incident was over and there was nothing further I could do. Staying upset would not change anything and would make me feel bad. My bad feelings affect the rest of my family and I might have let a relatively small incident ruin the rest of my day. Thank God for His mercy, patience and guidance as I strive to become more like Him in my parenting role. I also thank God for His protection as He saves my children from perils of which I may not even be aware.

Today's Devotion:

"And my soul shall be joyful in the LORD: it shall rejoice in his salvation. All my bones shall say, LORD, who is like unto thee, which deliverest the poor from him that is too strong for him, yea, the poor and the needy from him that spoileth him?" Psalm 35:9-10 (KJV)

Dear Lord, I thank you for your protection of me and my family. I do not need to spend hours or even minutes with useless worry. Worry will surely steal my joy. Instead, I rejoice in your faithfulness and your promises of protection. Hallelujah, God is my salvation! All praises to you O Lord. In Jesus mighty name I pray.
Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment