Thursday, November 20, 2008

Bob Jones: How We Homeschool

I started my homeschooling career as an "eclectic" homeschooler. For me, that just meant that I could not decide on a course and stick with it. I found that both my son and I prefer a more settled routine and my son's knowledge and performance have soared using a traditional curriculum. He knows what to expect, saving him a lot of energy instead of having to get used to something new all the time. He now puts that energy into learning large amounts of information, study skills, creative writing and more.

We have been using the Bob Jones homeschool curriculum and I am now using it for Alyssa as well.

We are very pleased with it. A common complaint about Bob Jones is that it is "too much". As homeschool parents, we must pick and choose from a myriad of options, like a buffet style meal. The Bob Jones curriculum is very much like that.

Two or three hands-on activities, one read-aloud and one field may be suggested for one lesson! Of course, you should not feel like you must do it all. I spoke with one of the Bob Jones consultants who used to be a Christian school teacher and she said that classroom teachers certainly do not use every single suggestion given in the teacher's manuals and it is unlikely that most homeschool moms will either.

The Bob Jones materials have high-quality graphics and color printing which my son appreciates. Themes are united across subjects into mini-unit studies and these early years, primary grades, have a strong emphasis on language arts and Bible basics.

If you or your child are struggling with an eclectic or more relaxed approach, try a more traditional textbook approach and see it the routine, familiarity and structure may benefit you or your child. It definitely worked for our family.

063792: K4 Foundations Home School Kit K4 Foundations Home School Kit
221481: Reading Grade 1, Home School Kit (3rd Edition) Reading Grade 1, Home School Kit (3rd Edition)
221507: Spelling Grade 1, Home School Kit (Third Edition) Spelling Grade 1, Home School Kit (Third Edition)
221440: Grade 1 (Phonics & English) Grade 1 (Phonics & English)
222190: Music Grade 1 Homeschool Kit Revised Music Grade 1 Homeschool Kit Revised
129189: Vacation Stations Book 1: Beyond The Back Door (between K5 & Grade 1) Vacation Stations Book 1: Beyond The Back Door (between K5 & Grade 1)




1 comment:

  1. I have heard a lot about Bob Jones, I am not using a set curriculum right now but as my son gets older I think that I am going to be in need of one.
    Anyhow, my husband is wanting to use ATI have you heard of it?

    Jamie

    ReplyDelete